In a transformative era where prioritising Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) is crucial for long-term success, how can airports remain competitive?
The integration of ESG principles is not just a matter of compliance; it’s a strategic imperative for airports. The EU’s Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive (CSRD), based on the ESG standards, is slated to apply to major listed companies starting the fiscal year 2024. The directive aims to avoid greenwashing and ensure that non-financial reporting attains the same level of quality as its financial counterpart.
Unlock Your Airport
Airports are heading toward wide-ranging digital transformation driven by both the introduction of regulatory reporting and new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI). Data collection and system integration enable airports to align with regulatory standards, effectively manage risks and meet stakeholder expectations.
Deerns considers three key focus areas where digital solutions are crucial for unlock future ready airports:
- Sustainability: In the context of climate change, the sector must embrace flexibility and speed in reducing emissions to zero. New ESG regulatory reporting standards require data.
- People: Airports must address employee shortage, improved health and well-being standards, and growing passenger comfort expectations.
- Technology: Challenges include the continuous change in systems and regulations, a high need to optimise operations, and more complex safety requirements.
A modern airport already includes advanced technologies and IT systems. These systems are increasing in size and complexity. While some programmes are already collecting data and are interconnected within their own silo, still much data is missing or unreliable. Most systems run and report independently of each other.
" To get the most out of your airport its potential must be unlocked.
Deerns strategically tackles the challenge of collecting data and connecting systems within airport infrastructure. Solutions range from a better integration of existing systems to an installation of tailormade new tools.
This integration not only enables data-driven decision-making processes but also ensures real-time reporting aligned with legislative requirements, such as building certification or CSRD. The implementation of this process is designed to be a streamlined, efficient, and cost-effective solution for airport operations.
Smart Solutions Powering the Airports of Tomorrow
Sustainability Solutions: Advanced tech and IT systems can enable sustainable, low to zero emissions at airports beyond just electrifying ground vehicles. Potential solutions include:
- Leveraging data from energy, gas, and water meters to gain valuable insights.
- Prioritising data analysis for the purpose of optimising performance.
- Digital Energy Management Systems (EMS) that dynamically optimise energy consumption in real-time.
- Implementing cohesive systems that streamline processes, decrease redundancy, reduce carbon footprint and resource consumption, and promote adaptability and resilience in operations.
People Solutions: Air travel ranks as a major stressor for most passengers, and airports must prioritise a smooth, stress-free passenger experience. Inter-connected digital solutions enhance user experience in the following ways:
- Smart parking systems facilitate online reservations, optimise space allocation, and streamline digital payment processes.
- Digital navigation/wayfinding improves overall navigation experiences.
- Touchless travel ensures passenger health and comfort.
- Employee wellbeing is enhanced with personalised control.
- Data-driven support for cleaning, maintenance, security, and resource allocation.
- Automated reporting, asset tracking, and optimisation insights for space usage.
Technology Solutions: Existing airport tech systems can be integrated for better data connectivity, for example, by adding sensors where data is lacking. This represents a minimal infrastructure change but results in a significant business impact:
- A centralised platform offers reliable data for performance insights, benchmarking, and regulations’ compliance.
- Data integration enables efficiency improvements and problem-solving.
- Predictive maintenance and fault detection minimise downtime, reduce operational expenses and enable informed decision-making.
- Smart infrastructure provides adaptability for rapid responses to uncertainties.
Here’s where we shape the future of airports
Deerns is a prominent multi-disciplinary engineering firm with a proven track record in airport installations and a specialised focus on smart building solutions and strategy. Our global, multi-disciplinary team provides end-to-end support throughout the entire project lifecycle, starting from initial concept development and extending to post-implementation aftercare.
In the realm of Smart Airports, our commitment goes beyond technology, emphasising the seamless integration of technological solutions to enhance airport management, streamline operations, optimise revenue, and promote sustainability. Let us work with you to help you shape the future of your airport!